Wednesday, February 29, 2012

John, Tim and Everyone Else

"We are but dream figures inside someone else's dream."

We pass by hundreds of people every day. Hundreds of people pass us by every day. People that we don't know, people that don't exist. Some make an abrupt gesture or give us a strange look, marking their now many times stillborn existence. We don't know them, yet they have made an impression on us, creating thoughts inside our heads. That's the door. Catching our attention is how they knock and open it before you ask "who is this?".
If you didn't know yet, you do it too. You change people's lives, wanting it or not. But what if you stopped that person that keep glancing at you with the corner of the eye, look straight into them and say "Hello. Who are you?". That question means a lot. It shows a lot. It lets you know straight away what that person stands for, which beliefs he/she has.
Let me tell you a short story that never really happened.
Once upon a normal day, a normal guy got out of bed. Just like every morning, he ate breakfast, dressed up, brushed his teeth and went to the bus stop. It was still a little dark and the wind was cold. He was rubbing his gloves to not shiver when someone bumped on him. He watched his suitcase scatter on the sidewalk, spitting his papers like if they tasted bad. "Oh God, I'm such a disaster. I'm so, so sorry, Tim", she said, kneeling to help him gather his papers. "It's okay, it happens... but I'm not Tim, you must be mistaken". "Oh, isn't it? I'm sorry, I just guessed by the color of your suitcase. Who are you again?". "John". "Oh, hello John, I'm John". She stretched out her hand. "What?". She pouted. "Tim, that's not how you greet someone!". His eyes were filled with confusion. What the hell? "My name is John, I said". "Well, so did I, Tim". "My name is not Tim!". She looked into his eyes, handing him the last papers. "And who told you that?". She got on the bus. "Wait!", he said. "Yes, Tim?". "Who are you?". She shrugged. "I'm Tim. Pleasure to meet you, John". He jumped in and the bus left.

Okay, come back now. Let's analise here. The meaning with that was to show a situation where two unknown persons meet and change each other's lives. Interrupting the other's chain of thoughts, conclusions and so on. Imprinting an image of oneself. I confess I went a little off there, but I meant to bring the topic of discussion: something that would change everything. 
Maybe his name is Tim. Maybe her name is John. Maybe they are called Brock and Misty. They don't know. There is no way of knowing the other but speaking. Showing. Hearing. People tend to either hear or speak; few do both. And if we all did...
Open up! Go up to someone you don't know, speak and hear what they have to say. Ask them if they are called Peter or maybe Sarah. Go up to someone you think you know and hear what they have to say. Hand them the tools for a second and let them sculpt a little bit of their own image. You'll be surprised.
Let someone change your future, just in that instant. Notice them. Let them into your mind for a second and maybe find out that they are just like you. That you two are beautiful and you can learn so much from each other. Let me see you, so you can see me. Let me know your name. You, the one I look at all the time, but have never seen.

Hello John, I'm Tim. Who are you again?

No comments:

Post a Comment