Thursday, February 16, 2012

For those who cry (and those who don't)

Let's change the course of this for a moment. In the background of this blog, behind every post, there is something I haven't mentioned yet. Not because I forgot, nor is it less important. It is, in fact, what brings the words out of my fingers. Music.
My soul has been a musician's since - and probably even before - I could be called a human being. I grew up in a home full of music, movement, art. I started playing the piano when I was around 11 and trying singing some years before that. I, at the moment, study at a music school here in Sweden.
Having said that, I confess that I'm not much of a writer without music. I'm not much of anything. Music triggers the feelings consciousness fails to reach. Right now I'm listening to Yiruma, my favorite pianist, album "First Love" from 2001 (if you don't feel like listening to the whole thing, try the song "When The Love Falls"). He's my soundtrack for writings such as this blog.
Music, on my point of view, is the safest and quickest way into one's core. You feel emotions and sensations you never knew existed. The urge to cry without a reason. I've heard people say they don't cry to music, even if they love it. Fear not - you are not soulless. The feeling of love and understanding of God-knows-what that a song might bring doesn't have to be external. But if you say to me you never felt anything at all with music of any kind, I must stop you right there. Calm down for a minute or two. Close your eyes and think about something and/or someone you love. Let a classic/instrumental song float gently throughout the room around you. Don't pay attention to it, just leave it be. Let it become the air around you. Take a deep breath. Feel it run through your lungs, veins, cells. Allow it to fill you, top to bottom. Allow yourself to be music. Now let it fill your mind, your memories, your emotions. Let it make you smile. Smile to yourself. There's so much (so much!) of you hidden in there. Hold its tail and see where it takes you. Don't try to figure it out, just wander with it. Go within the depths of your mind, or just take a walk on the street. Take your time, there's no need to rush. In that moment, that one single moment, feel the awe of love. The love you are holding by the tail. The Music.
And for those who cry, I invite you to do the same. Maybe our musics meet somewhere along their way. Hopefully, they will. I'd love to know you better.

No comments:

Post a Comment