Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Human Empathy Machine


I’ve been doing some thinking lately. I very often consider a parallel world where you can know everything about a person from the moment your eyes meet. Like with a machine or something. I wonder if that would be as good as it sounds. OK, maybe it would help a lot to choose who is worth it or not, but it would also take the fun out of it. Let’s be honest here: there is nothing better in a relationship than learning something new about one another. But think! Knowing all that person’s tastes, loves, fears. Knowing if you could protect them or not. Give them something or not. If they have the same urge to learn as you do. If their life is worth living and learning from.
So what if I knew you? Or even if you knew me. Maybe we are the same, you and I. Maybe you can save me and I can protect you. Maybe we’ll never know and I’ll never get to say that I love you, even though I already do. I love you. I don’t know anything about you. I don’t know what you think; I don’t know your fears. I can’t read you; I can’t see your soul. I can’t see who you want to be. But I can see who you are and, God damn, you’re beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. Pedro, your blog's amazing! You really put beautiful into words. :) Thank you, and keep up the good thinking!

    ReplyDelete