Sunday, April 22, 2012

Joy and Sorrow (The Prophet)

“Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter’s oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, ‘Joy is greater than sorrow,’ and other say, ‘Nay, sorrow is the greater.’
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”
The Prophet; GIBRAN, Kahlil






(And, just for the record, I strongly recommend the Bhagavad Gîtâ, a sacred Hindu scripture, part of the Mahabharata.)

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I always wanted to avoid to read Kahlil Gibran books, maybe because a prophet of life, as I think this guy is like, can be anyone smart enough to realize what around you and more important, inside you. You need to be smart to realize that joy and sorrow can not live without each other, but as each one of them are so strong extreme feelings in the moment it becames very hard to see that with all the "smartness" (haha) you have, and then is when it's needed to go beyond the words. I'm always trying, sometimes works and it feels nice to feel thet calm in your heart specially when you have sorrow, feels good when the word 'balance' goes also beyond the good and bad of any situation. Nice lines Pedro, even quoting Gibran. Makes people think.. rarely happends nowadays in this world.

      PS: I checked the gramatic after.. shit my english is not good haha I fixed it and it's better now so it's understandable.

      Delete
    2. I am not sure I understood what you meant: you avoid reading Kahlil Gibran because he is a prophet of life, what we all can be if we are "smart enough to realize what's around us, and more important, inside us", but nonetheless you agree with this passage? :)
      Thank you for the feedback!

      Delete
  2. A lot of people think that Gibran is kind of a genious on the way of thinking about life when sometimes you just need to look things differently to take out your own Gibran, well, maybe is why he's so special.. Ok I get it hahaha I really like the passage I've always belived in the balance of life, I always try to not read Gibran but I don't exactly why to be honest, I tried to explained before but it was a total fail haha.
    Sometimes I see myself thinking in the bathroom (just for saying a place) thining something, then I read Gibran saying the same thing in more beautiful words, even explained better that I could with my own words, and I said "The differece between what he thought and what I did is just a matter of priorities" Some person thought the same some day and he/she just didn't gave too much importance to try my hard to understand it or redact it... He writes about life, maybe the reason why I don't like to read his lines is because I want to learn from life as he did (sort of), living it, I'm sure that everything he wrote he didn't read it anywhere... I think that is interesting and just.. great =)

    ReplyDelete